The Logic of God: 52 Christian Essentials for the Heart and Mind by Ravi Zacharias. HarperCollins Publishing. 275 pages. 2019 ****
This book of 52 readings from Ravi Zacharias, who went home to be with the Lord May 19, is a collection of his writings, most of which have never before been published in book form. They were selected for their perspective on the many ways God has provided us with evidence of His existence and how this “logic” gives life meaning, establishes the credibility of the Christian message, shows the weakness of modern intellectual movements, demonstrates the certainty of the claims of Jesus Christ, and validates biblical teaching and Christian apologetics. Each reading is preceded by a relevant quote from the Bible. Two other features to help the reader to reflect on important themes in the readings – “Reflection Questions”, and apply the lessons learned from the readings – “Personal Application”. The author recommends that, if possible, you spend a week with each “experience”, although you can also read like a standard “daily devotional” as I did.
Below are some of my favorite quotes from the book:
Click on ‘Continue reading’ for:
BOOK REVIEWS ~ More of this review and reviews of
~ Growing in Holiness by R.C. Sproul
~ Growing Up (With) R.C. by R.C. Sproul Jr
BOOK NEWS ~ Links to Interesting Articles
BOOK CLUB ~ The Gospel According to Jesus by John MacArthur
I’M CURRENTLY READING…. Continue reading →
There are a number of new and upcoming books that I’m excited about. I call it my ‘on deck circle’. Here are 13 of them:
The Apostles’ Creed: Discovering Authentic Christianity in an Age of Counterfeits by Albert Mohler
From the Amazon description:
“In The Apostles’ Creed, renowned theologian and pastor R. Albert Mohler Jr. works line-by-line and phrase-by-phrase through each section of the Creed, explaining in clear terms what it means and how it equips Christians to live faithfully in a post-Christian culture. From understanding the nature of the Trinity and the miracle of the Incarnation to the world-shaking truth of the resurrection and the hope of Christ’s return, the theological heritage contained in this ancient statement has the power to shape us for vibrant and steadfast living today. The Apostles’ Creed shows us how.” Continue reading →
Want to build trust in your relationships? Read the Book Review in the Leadership Library of Trust Works! Four Keys to Building Lasting Relationships by Ken Blanchard, Cynthia Olmstead and Martha Lawrence.
Leadership Book Club WEEK FOUR
As we continue working through John Maxwell’s classic book The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, this week we’ll look at the following two laws:
• The Law of Priorities
• The Law of Sacrifice
OK, enough of the work stuff, let’s talk books, movies, music, etc.!
Book Reviews ~ If you need a good laugh, listen to Still Foolin’ ‘Em: Where I’ve Been, Where I’m Going, and Where the Hell Are My Keys? by Billy Crystal, who also reads the audiobook. Just so you know, Billy likes to use some ‘blue’ language.
Movie Review ~ Go see Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, rated PG-13, for some fun action-adventure.
• The Passion 2014 Atlanta Conference was held in Atlanta January 17-18, with over 20,000 university students attending the two-day event from around the world. Students from over 1,200 universities and 33 countries attended this year’s Passion conference in Atlanta. Joining Passion founders Louie and Shelley Giglio in Atlanta was John Piper, Christine Caine, and Francis Chan. Grammy award winning artists and worship leaders Chris Tomlin and Matt Redman, led worship, along with David Crowder, Kristian Stanfill, Christy Nockels and Hillsong United. The live album should be released in early March. Read more here: http://www.christianpost.com/news/over-20000-students-attend-passion-2014-conference-in-atlanta-112930/
• John Piper recently spoke for the eighteenth time at the Passion conference. Desiring God has collected four of Piper’s pivotal messages from the Passion conferences, including “Boasting Only in the Cross” and three others — into a new free ebook. Read about how to download at An All-Consuming Passion for Jesus: Appeals to the Rising Generation.
• The latest addition to WORLD News Group’s Saturday lineup is Listening In, an exciting new radio program hosted by Warren Cole Smith and featuring newsmakers and thought leaders. “It is unlike anything on Christian radio,” Smith said. “It’s more like NPR’s Fresh Air or public television’s Charlie Rose, but without those programs’ liberal bias.” Warren’s first guest is Molly Worthen, author of Apostles of Reason, a history of American evangelicalism just published by Oxford University Press. Listen to streaming audio of the debut airing of Listening In.
• Eric Metaxas recently announced that the video of his interview of Malcolm Gladwell at Socrates in the City is now up for viewing. Check it out here: http://vimeo.com/83371650
• Some U2 news to report:
• There’s been some buzz about a new song called ‘Invisible’, a track the band will be releasing as part of an initiative with RED, to support the fight against AIDS. The band has been shooting the video for the song in L.A.
• At the 71st Golden Globe Awards in Los Angeles, the band took home the award for ‘Best Original Song’ for ‘Ordinary Love’. All four band members accepted the award, for the song they wrote for Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.
• Speaking of “Ordinary Love”, the band recently released a new video for the song. You can view it here: http://www.u2.com/news/title/ordinary-love-new-video