Faith and Work News ~ Links to Interesting Articles
- What Do the Psalms Have to Say About Work? Russ Gehrlein shares a brief summary of some of the observations about work from the Psalms that he compiled in his book, Immanuel Labor – God’s Presence in our Profession.
- Is Retirement Good for You? Or Not? Mark D. Roberts writes “Those who flourish in the third half of life have a purpose that is greater than their own wellbeing. They are living to serve others and to make a difference in the world, whether through paid or non-paid work. Ultimately, we who follow Jesus should see our retirement as a time to continue to live our whole lives as his disciples.”
- Is the Quest for “Meaningful Work” a Scam? On this episode of the Quick to Listen podcast, Luke Bobo joins Christianity Today global media manager Morgan Lee and executive editor Ted Olsen to discuss if the Bible’s instructions about work make sense today, what is different about work in this moment, and how to navigate the additional abuse and exhaustion the pandemic has brought on.
- Called to Lead. My book Called to Lead: Living and Leading for Jesus in the Workplace is available in both a paperback and Kindle edition. Read a free sample (Introduction through Chapter 2).
- Bet on Leadership. Mark Miller introduces the first of the 4 Moves of High Performance Organizations, Bet on Leadership, along with a brief overview of the 3 best practices.
- How to Think Wisely About 40-Hour Workweeks and Offices. Jordan Raynor writes “Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, many are wondering: “Do we really need offices?” “Who said 9 to 5 were the ideal working hours?” and “If we’re able to work wherever and whenever we want, can’t we get our work done in less than 40 hours a week?” While Scripture doesn’t give specific answers, it does give three principles that will help us engage the pressing issues of work and time.”
- All Good Work is God’s Work (Including Yours). Scott Sauls writes “Whether our work is done at home or out in the community, as volunteers or for a paycheck, an essential question has to do with how our faith relates to our work.”
Click on ‘Continue reading’ for:
- More links to interesting articles
- The Top 10 Faith and Work Quotes of the Week
- My Review of Work That Makes a Difference by Daniel Doriani
- Snippets from the book Work and Worship: Reconnecting Our Labor and Liturgy by Matthew Kaemingk and Cory B. Willson