Summer is a wonderful time for reading, whether it is on the backyard patio, a family vacation, or listening to an audiobook while walking or running. This summer, I plan to read in a variety of genres (biography, leadership, theology, Christian living, etc.).
Bible Reading. My wife Tammy and I are reading through the Bible, a chapter at a time. As of this writing, we are in 2 Chronicles, using the Reformation Study Bible (English Standard Version).
Devotional Reading. This year, I am using three resources for my daily devotional reading:
- Tabletalk Magazine from Ligonier Ministries.
- Truth For Life – Volume 2: 365 Daily Devotions by Alistair Begg
- The Word Before Work: A Monday-Through-Friday Devotional to Help You Find Eternal Purpose in Your Daily Work by Jordan Raynor
Book Clubs. I am reading three books as part of book clubs:
- Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper. I am reading and discussing this classic Piper book with a few friends over breakfast on Thursday mornings.
- Agents of Flourishing: Pursuing Shalom in Every Corner of Society by Amy Sherman. We are reading this book on the blog.
- Truths We Confess: A Systematic Exposition of the Westminster Confession of Faith by R.C. Sproul. We are reading this book on the blog.
I read four books in June:
- A Good Return: Biblical Principles for Work, Wealth and Wisdom by John Lennox. Here is my review.
- The Bible Convictions of John Wycliffe by Steven Lawson. Here is my review.
- The Sacred Meaning of Everyday Work by Robert Tribken. Here is my review.
- Worthy: Living in Light of the Gospel by Sinclair Ferguson. Here is my review.
Other books that I am planning to read this summer include:
- Leading with a Limp: Take Full Advantage of Your Most Powerful Weakness by Dan Allender
- Hard Sayings: Understanding Difficult Passages of Scripture by R.C. Sproul
- Facing the Last Enemy: Death and the Christian by Guy Waters
- The Christian Manifesto: Jesus’ Life-Changing Words from the Sermon on the Plain by Alistair Begg
What are you planning to read this summer?