As I have done for several years now, I’m going share my favorites in a variety of categories for the first half of 2022. The COVID-19 pandemic has influenced this list once again, as we have not been to a conference and have seen very few movies. All items listed were released in 2022, with the exception of books, which reflect books that I read in 2022, regardless of publication date. I hope you enjoy this list!
Top Pick: Top Gun: Maverick. Here’s my review.
Other films that I have enjoyed, in order, were:
- King Richard
- Jurassic World: Dominion
- Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore
Top Pick: Strange New World: How Thinkers and Activists Redefined Identity and Sparked the Sexual Revolution by Carl Trueman. Here’s my review.
Other books I have enjoyed, in order, have been:
Click on ‘Continue reading’ for:
More Favorite Books, Music, Television, Blogs, Podcasts, Apps, Concerts, Conferences and Recommended Resources
- The Flourishing Pastor: Recovering the Lost Art of Shepherd Leadership – Tom Nelson
- R.C. Sproul: Defender of the Reformed Faith – Nate Pickowicz
- Lessons for the Upper Room: The Heart of the Savior by Sinclair Ferguson
- The Road to J.O.Y. Leading with Faith, Playing with Purpose, Leaving a Legacy by Scott Drew
- Up and Down: Victories and Struggles in the Course of Life by Bubba Watson with Don Yaeger.
- Simple Truths of Leadership: 52 Ways to Be a Servant Leader and Build Trust – Ken Blanchard and Randy Conley
- Talking to GOATs: The Moments You Remember and the Stories You Never Heard – Jim Gray
- Coach K: The Rise and Reign of Mike Krzyzewski by Ian O’Connor
Music – Songs
Top Pick: Down to Joy – Van Morrison
Other songs I’ve enjoyed, in order, have been:
- Christ Our Hope in Life and Death – Keith and Kristyn Getty & Michael W. Smith
- Worry No More – Amos Lee
- Come to Jesus (Rest in Him) – Jordan Kauflin and Matt Merker
- Leaning – Matt Maher and Lizzie Morgan
- The Goodness – Toby Mac, featuring Blessing Offor
- Supernatural – Trip Lee
Music – Albums
Top Pick: The End – Trip Lee. Here’s my review.
Other albums that I’ve enjoyed, in order, have been:
- Dreamland – Amos Lee
- Sing! In Christ Alone: Live from the Getty Music Conference – Keith and Kristyn Getty and Friends
- What’s It Gonna Take? – Van Morrison
- Live from Bridgestone Arena – NEEDTOBREATHE
- What Are We Waiting For? – For KING & COUNTRY
Top pick: Tucker Carlson Tonight
Other programs that I have enjoyed, in order, have been:
- Around the World in 80 Days
- All Creatures Great and Small
Note: an older show that my wife Tammy and I have been enjoying has been Criminal Minds.
Top Choice: Tim Challies’ Ala Carte
This is required reading for me each Monday through Saturday morning. Challies includes helpful Kindle deals, links to a wide variety of helpful articles and quotes using SquareQuotes (that he encourages you to share). Check out Tim’s site and subscribe here.
Top Pick: Albert Mohler’s The Briefing
This is required listening for me each weekday morning. Mohler hosts a fast-moving podcast featuring worldview analysis about leading news headlines and cultural conversations. The podcast runs about 25 minutes and is usually posted by 5:00am. Check out Dr. Mohler’s website and subscribe here.
Top Pick: Ligonier Ministries
I really appreciate the Ligonier Ministries app, which includes thousands of discipleship resources from R.C. Sproul, the Ligonier Teaching Fellows, and other gifted Bible teachers.
Top Pick: Van Morrison at the Chicago Theatre
Other concerts I enjoyed were:
- NEEDTOBREATHE’s Into the Mystery Acoustic Tour at the Peoria Civic Center Theater
- Andrew Peterson at the Monticello Christian Church
Unfortunately, we decided to cancel our registration for the Ligonier National Conference (for the third consecutive year) due to COVID. Lord willing, we will be attending the Sing! 2022 Conference Christ Our Hope in Life and Death: Prayers and Confessions, to be held September 4-7 in Nashville.
Top Pick: The Lord’s Day: Sabbath Worship and Rest teaching series by Robert Godfrey
These are my favorites in a variety of categories for the first half of 2022. I hope it gives you some ideas on books to read, music to listen to, etc. What are some of your favorites? Please share.