As I have for several years, I’m sharing some of my personal favorites in a variety of categories for the year of 2021. As with 2020, this list will look a little different from previous years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as we have been to only one concert and one conference, and we saw very few films this year.
Except for books, these are all items that were released in 2021. For books, I include my favorite books that I’ve read this year, regardless of when the book was originally published.
Enjoy, and please let me know what you think of my list, as well as what would be on your list.
Top Pick: No Time to Die. Read my review here.
The remainder of my top 5 films were:
- American Underdog
- S. Lewis: The Reluctant Convert
- West Side Story
- In the Heights
Click on ‘Continue reading’ for:
- More favorite Music, Books, Blogs, Podcasts, Apps, Television, Conferences and Concerts.
Top Pick: Almost Home: The Hymns of Matt Boswell and Matt Papa. Read my review here.
The remainder of my top 10 albums were:
- Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs, Vol. 1 – Shane and Shane
- Milk & Honey – Crowder
- Confessio: Irish American Roots – Keith & Kristyn Getty
- Let it Be Super Deluxe – The Beatles
- Into the Mystery – NEEDTOBREATHE
- Canyon – Ellie Holcomb
- New Creation – Mac Powell
- My Savior – Carrie Underwood
- Leftover Feelings – John Hiatt and the Jerry Douglas Band
Other albums that I enjoyed, in no particular order, were:
- Departures – Jon Foreman
- Clouds (The Mixtape) – NF
- January Flower Deluxe Edition – Mat Kearney
- Sing! Global Deluxe – Keith and Kristyn Getty and Friends
- Freedom (EP) – Justin Bieber
- Skin and Wind – Charlie Peacock
- Live From the Woods Vol. 2 – NEEDTOBREATHE
- Stomping Ground – Dion
- Never Land II – Andy Mineo
Top Pick: Psalm 150 (Praise the Lord) – Matt Boswell and Matt Papa. Listen to the song here.
The remainder of my top 10 songs were:
- Pass the Promise – Keith & Kristyn Getty and Sandra McCracken
- Brightest and Best – Keith & Kristyn Getty and Ricky Skaggs
- Almost Home – Matt Boswell and Matt Papa
- Psalm 90 (Satisfy Us With Your Love) – Shane and Shane
- Be Still My Soul/He Will Hold Me Fast – Keith & Kristyn Getty
- I Don’t Want to Miss It – Ellie Holcomb
- He Is – Crowder
- Brand New Day – Ellie Holcomb
- Psalm 42 (Loudest Praise) – Shane and Shane
Other songs I enjoyed, in no particular order, were:
- Carry Me – NEEDTOBREATHE featuring Jon Foreman
- River of Life – Mac Powell
- Help Is On The Way (Maybe Midnight) – TobyMac
- Mississippi Phone Booth – John Hiatt and the Jerry Douglas Band
- How Great Thou Art – Carrie Underwood
- Zoom In Zoom Out – Ringo Starr
- Thank God for the Blues – Van Morrison
Top Pick: R.C. Sproul: A Life – Stephen Nichols. Read my review here.
The remainder of my top 10 books were:
- The Lyrics: 1956 to the Present – Paul McCartney
- Fault Lines – Voddie Baucham
- The God of the Garden – Andrew Peterson
- Knowing God and Ourselves – David Calhoun
- In the Lord I Take Refuge – Dane Ortlund
- Work and Worship – byMatthew Kaemingk and Cory B Willson
- Work That Makes a Difference – Daniel Doriani
- Hope in Times of Fear – Tim Keller
- The Dawn of Redeeming Grace – Sinclair Ferguson
Other books I enjoyed, in no particular order, were:
- Crush Your Career – Dee Ann Turner
- The Gospel According to Jesus – John MacArthur
- Journey to the Cross – Paul Tripp
- Called to Create – Jordan Raynor
- Brave by Faith – Alistair Begg
- Searching for Grace – Scotty Smith and Russ Masterson
- Redeeming Your Time – Jordan Raynor
- When Prayer is a Struggle – Kevin Halloran
- The Characters of Easter – Daniel Darling
- Deeper – Dane Ortlund
- The Babylon Bee Guide to Wokeness
- Make Work Matter – Michaela O’Donnell
Top Choice: Tim Challies’ Ala Carte
This is required reading for me each Monday through Saturday morning. Challies includes helpful Kindle deals, links to a wide variety of helpful articles and quote using SquareQuotes (that he encourages you to share). Check out Tim’s site and subscribe here.
Top Pick: Albert Mohler’s The Briefing
This is required listening for me each weekday morning. Mohler hosts a fast-moving podcast featuring worldview analysis about leading news headlines and cultural conversations. The podcast runs about 25 minutes and is usually posted by 5:00am. Check out Dr. Mohler’s website and subscribe here.
- The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill – Mike Cosper. This should be required listening for all leaders, not only church leaders. You can listen to the podcast here.
Top Pick: Ligonier Ministries
Top Pick: The Beatles Get Back. Here’s my review.
Other programs that I enjoyed, in no particular order were:
- Tucker Carlson Tonight
- Ted Lasso
- McCartney 3,2,1
- All Creatures Great and Small
Top Pick: Sing! Getty Music Worship Conference in Nashville
As a result of COVID-19, we again did not get to the Ligonier National Conference or the Gospel Coalition National Conference as planned. We were able to watch the main sessions from the Ligonier National Conference via live stream. You can watch those sessions here.
Top Pick: TobyMac and Cochran and Co. in Peoria
These are a few of my 2021 favorites in a variety of categories. How about you? What were some of your favorites?