In Genesis chapter 17, we see that the LORD appeared to Abram, who was then 99 years old. In verse 16, the LORD told Abraham that he would give him a son by his wife Sarah, who was 90 years old. We read that Abraham then fell on his face and laughed to himself about how impossible it would be for a couple of their age to have a child.
Laughter shows up again in chapter 18 as the LORD and two other men appear to Abraham. Sarah, listening nearby, hears the LORD tell Abraham that he will return in a year and Sarah will have a son. Sarah laughed to herself about this impossibility because of her age, because she was way beyond her child-bearing years and had been barren up to this point. The LORD then asked Abraham why Sarah laughed, asking “Is anything too hard for the LORD?”
Are there things in your life that you think are just impossible, even too hard for the LORD? What about?
- A reliable job to provide for your family?
- Getting out of monstrous debt from medical bills, college tuition and credit card charges.
- Resolving a relationship that you feel is beyond repair.
- Gaining victory over an addiction.
- Getting through school while having to work two part-time jobs?
- Having children when you and your spouse have tried for years without success?
- Beating that chronic illness (headaches, anxiety, depression).
- Getting that promotion that always seems to go to someone else.
- Mastering that new skill.
- And on and on….
If God could make Abraham, a man of 99 years old, who had a wife of 90 years old, the father of a multitude of nations, he can certainly help you in your situation. No, nothing is too hard for our God. But He is not a genie, or a slot-machine God, where you merely put in your request and out pops your answer. Commit yourself to fervent prayer, and trust that He will answer them in the manner that is best for you. That answer may be “Yes”, “No” or “Not yet”. He is sovereign and you can trust Him.
Here are 7 verses from the Bible that tells us that nothing is too hard for the Lord:
- Ah, Lord GOD! It is you who have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for you. Jeremiah 32:17
- Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me? Jeremiah 32:27
- But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26
- For nothing will be impossible with God. Luke 1:37
- I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. Job 42:2
- Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us. Ephesians 3:20
- And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19
Nothing is too hard for the Lord. Go to Him in prayer, believing that He has the power to care for you. Burk Parsons has said “We don’t believe in the power of prayer, we believe in the power of God who answers prayer, and that’s precisely why we pray.”
What is it in your life that you are thinking is too hard for the Lord? Go to Him in prayer today.