I love to read! I think I got that love from my parents. Fortunately my wife also loves to read. As a norm, I’m working on two books at a time – reading one on my Kindle and listening to one audiobook. I only read a physical book these days if the book is not available in a digital or audio format. I read books in a number of genres – theology, biography, leadership, sports, professional development, etc. As we head into the summer, here are 12 books I hope to read:
- Heaven by Randy Alcorn. I’ve long wanted to read this book, and now is the time. However, due to the length of the book (560 pages), I may opt for the abridged audiobook version, which is still in excess of eleven hours in length.
- A Peculiar Glory: How the Christian Scriptures Reveal Their Complete Truthfulness by John Piper. This book on the Bible is Piper’s first major book in a few years. I’ve read several positive reviews of the book.
- For the Glory: Eric Liddell’s Journey from Olympic Champion to Modern Martyr by Duncan Hamilton. This is a new biography of the man featured in the 1981 Academy Award winning film Chariots of Fire.
- J.C. Ryle: Prepared to Stand Alone by Iain Murray. I’ve read several books by Iain Murray, but know relatively little about J.C. Ryle. I look forward to reading this new biography from Banner of Truth (book is not currently in a digital format).
- The New Man by Dan Doriani. I enjoyed two courses with Dr. Doriani at Covenant Seminary. This is a revised and expanded edition of Doriani’s 2001 book The Life of a God-Made Man.
- Working for Our Neighbor by Gene Veith. I enjoyed Gene Veith’s book God at Work and reading his blog, so I’m looking forward to this new book.
- Lead Like Jesus Revisited by Ken Blanchard, Phil Hodges and Phyllis Hendry. This is the follow-up to Blanchard and Hodges excellent 2005 book Lead Like Jesus.
- The Blessing of Humility by Jerry Bridges. This is the final book by Bridges, one of my favorite authors, who died March 6.
- From the Mouth of God by Sinclair Ferguson. This is an updated and revised version of an early book on the Bible by Ferguson, one of my favorite authors/preachers.
- H3 Leadership: Be Humble. Stay Hungry. Always Hustle by Brad Lomenick. I enjoyed Lomenick’s book The Catalyst Leader and reading his blog, and am looking forward to his latest book on leadership.
- The Passionate Preaching of Martyn Lloyd-Jones by Steven Lawson. I can’t read enough by or about “The Doctor”. Plus, I always enjoy Steven Lawson’s short biographies in The Long Line of Godly Men series he oversees.
- Jesus Outside the Lines by Scott Sauls. I’ve been waiting to read this book by Scott Sauls for some time now. I’m always challenged by his blog posts. This is the next book my wife and I will be reading together and discussing.
- The Faith Shaped Life by Ian Hamilton. I was introduced to Ian Hamilton at the 2016 Ligonier National Conference when he gave three wonderful messages.
These are books that I hope to read or listen to this summer. What’s on your reading list?