Yep – just stay in your PJ’s, turn on “Hibernation Day” by Jars of Clay, and read CoramDeoTheBlog!
This and That
• Here’s a new song – “Good Shepherd of My Soul” – from Keith and Kristyn Getty, a Christmas gift to their fans. Take a listen: http://www.gettymusic.com/hymns-goodshepherd.aspx?
• Desiring God recently released the top 10 books of 2013 as voted by their readers. I’ve read six of the ten. See the below article for details:
• Ligonier Ministries recently announced the update of RefNet (Reformation Network – RefNet 2.0. Read about the enhancements in the below article: http://www.ligonier.org/blog/refnet-2-is-here/
• Kevin DeYoung, one of my favorite bloggers, has published his top books of 2013. Check them out here: http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/2013/12/17/top-ten-books-of-2013/
• Apple recently announced their top downloaded apps for 2013. Find out what they were in the below story:
• We saw a preview of a film entitled Son of God over the weekend. It will be released in theatres February 28. The film is based on Mark Burnett and Roma Downey’s 10-hour miniseries The Bible. The film will feature selections of the miniseries as well as deleted scenes not featured during the telecast. The film’s official site is http://www.sonofgodmovie.com.
• Michael Card and his team will be returning to Christ Church in Normal for the Biblical Imagination Conference on Matthew – April 25-26. Michael’s Sunday night, April 27 concert will be held at East White Oak Bible Church to accommodate more people, as the 2012 concert at Christ Church filled the building! Tickets are available in the store at http://www.michaelcard.com/ and from me. Just contact me at email@example.com or at (309) 452-5438. Tickets for the conference and concert are now $48; after February 25, $58. Tickets for the concert only are now $13; after February 27, $18
• Upcoming concerts that you may be interested in include:
The Winter Jam 2014 tour featuring the Newsboys, Lecrae and many others. The tour will stop at the State Farm Center in Champaign on January 25 and the Peoria Civic Center the next evening. The tour will also stop at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates March 29. All shows start at 6:00pm. Tickets are only $10 and can be purchased at the door.
~ Third Day and Skillet will be at the iWireless Center in Moline for a 7:00pm concert on March 9.
~ Scott Stapp, former lead singer of Creed, will be in concert at the House of Blues in Chicago March 26.
• Upcoming music releases you might be interested in include:
~ Switchfoot will release Fading West on January 14.
~ Bruce Springsteen will release High Hopes on January 14.
~ Casting Crowns will release Thrive on January 28.
~ Crowder (David Crowder) will release Neon Steeple on February 18.
• Third Day went into the legendary Capitol Studios in Hollywood and spent the day recording their own iTunes Sessions album. This album consists of re-imagined acoustic versions of some of their biggest hits and favorite tracks – all recorded live in one day. They also put their own spin on a cover of Genesis’ “Land of Confusion.” This album is available only at iTunes.
• Paul McCartney’s latest album “New” was voted the fourth best album of the year by Rolling Stone magazine.
Another one of my favorite artists – John Fogerty – came on at #10 with “Wrote a Song for Everyone”. Congrats to the old guys!
• Yet another Duck Dynasty/Duck Commander book is scheduled for release (there are an incredible 8 such books in the top 100 Sports Kindle books as I write this), with two additional books scheduled for 2014 not charting here). Phil-Osophy: My C+ Perspective on Life by Phil Robertson is due to be published September 2.
• Interesting USA Today article – http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/12/19/duck-dynasty-bible-religion-palin-robertson-column/4124181/
• On December 19, I woke to the news that Larry “Superjock” Lujack had died at age 73 of esophageal cancer. “Uncle Lar” was a big part of my life from the late 60’s into the 80’s during his time on WLS “The Big 89” and WCFL in Chicago. He was known for “Animal Stories”, “Police Beat”, “The Klunk Letter of the Day”, and “The Cheap Trashy Showbiz Report”. I remember being in my bedroom hearing him introduce “Lady Madonna” by the Beatles for the first time, mistakingly indicating that Ringo Starr was singing lead. I loved it when he really liked a song and played it again, with a big “Woooo! I read his 1975 autobiography Superjock: The loud, frantic, nonstop world of a rock radio DJ. In a word, Lujack was “cool”. Below is the story of his death from the Chicago Tribune: http://www.suntimes.com/24467978-761/legendary-superjock-larry-lujack-dies-at-73.html
And here’s a video clip of him being interviewed back around 1980: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXs9_QLNCmE
Newly Posted on CoramDeoTheBlog
One Way Love: Inexhaustible Grace for an Exhausted World by Tullian Tchividjian
~ Center Church: Doing Balanced Gospel Centered Ministry in Your City
~ King’s Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus
~ The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God
FRIDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES ~ Friday nights have always been our date night since we met in 1977. We love to go out to dinner and to the movies, mostly to eat popcorn! Here’s reviews of the two films we saw this past weekend:
~ Saving Mr. Banks
Let’s celebrate Christmas Day and the coming of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
1. “Shepherds, rejoice, lift up your eyes,
“And send your fears away;
“News from the regions of the skies,
“Salvation’s born today.
2. “Jesus, the God whom Angels fear,
“Comes down to dwell with you;
“Today he makes his Entrance here,
“But not as monarchs do.
3. “No Gold, nor purple swaddling Bands,
“Nor Royal shining Things;
“A Manger for his Cradle stands,
“And holds the King of kings.
4. “Go, Shepherds, where the Infant lies,
“And see his humble Throne
“With Tears of Joy in all your Eyes,
“Go, Shepherds, kiss the Son.”
5. Thus Gabriel sang, and straight around
The heavenly Armies throng;
They tune their Harps to lofty Sound,
And thus conclude the Song:
6. “Glory to God that reigns above!
“Let Peace surround the Earth!
“Mortals shall know their Maker’s Love,
“At their Redeemer’s Birth.”
7. Lord! and shall Angels have their Songs,
And Men no Tunes to raise?
O may we lose our useless Tongues
When they forget to praise!
8. Glory to God that reigns above,
That pitied us forlorn;
We join to sing our Maker’s Love,
For there’s a Saviour born.
~ Isaac Watts