There is alot going on with our bloggers this week. Teri has recently accepted a new part-time position as Director of the Spoon River Pregnancy Resource Center in Canton (http://www.srpregnancycenter.com/). She travels to Denver this week for the Care Net National Pregnancy Center Conference.
Tammy will complete eighteen years as treasurer of our church this week, all of it as a volunteer. She has a number of volunteer opportunities that have opened up for her, including jokingly referring to herself as a “Life Coach”, but plans to be patient and wait upon the Lord for what He has next for her.
Bill has started his next class, his next to last, at Covenant Seminary. It looks to be a great class, called Spiritual and Ministry Formation taught by Dr. Phil Douglas. Spencer and Molly from our home church are taking the class on campus, while Bill takes it via distance learning. It will include reading books by some of Bill’s favorite authors including Sinclair Ferguson and Jerry Bridges, along with a book that is coming along at the perfect time – The Call by Os Guinness.
• Check out the recently published September issue of Coram Deo at http://www.christchurchpca.org/resources/coram-deo/. It includes lots of new book, movie and music reviews that aren’t posted on the blog, as well as other great articles for your reading pleasure.
• KNOWING VS FEELING IN WORSHIP – Alistair Begg is both funny and profound here in this 4 minute video. http://www.truthforlife.org/blog/video-knowing-vs-feeling-alistair-begg-409/
• A Letter from Fred
A music studio in Peoria recently launched a singer-songwriter contest and asked local musicians to upload their original songs to YouTube. The studio got one song that did not quite meet the requirements, but it was a song that told a story too good to ignore.
Fred Stobaugh had been married to Lorraine for 73 years before she passed away last year. Now 96 years old, Fred penned a tribute to his wife and titled it, “Oh Sweet Lorraine.” He wrote the lyrics, but was no musician, so simply forwarded the song to the studio in the hope that they might do something with it.
The studio responded by making a professional recording of the song. They released a video that immediately went viral and has already surpassed a million views on YouTube. In the video Fred tells about meeting his wife when she was a car hop at the local A&W, about their 2 years of dating and their 73 years of marriage. “She gave me 75 years of her life.” And then the video transitions to the song. Go ahead and watch it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDi4hBWsvkY (Skip to 5:53 if you’d like to hear only the song.)
• Check out this story about a little boy’s dreams fulfilled – http://www.worldmag.com/2013/08/home_runs_worth_waiting_for
• Georgia Tech welcome speech stuns freshmen, goes viral http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/21/us/georgia-tech-sophomore-speech/?hpt=us_t2
• Download this month’s free audiobook of the month from Christian Audio – David Wilkerson’s classic “The Cross and the Switchblade” at:
• Church Clothes was the first mixtape by Christian hip hop artist Lecrae. It was released for free in May 2012, and hosted by DJ Don Cannon. Lecrae is currently working on Church Clothes, Volume II, with as many as 25 songs written for the project.
• Tim Keller shows how God calls each of us to express meaning and purpose through our work and careers in the book Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God’s Work. You can find a review under Leadership Book Reviews. http://coramdeotheblog.com/leadership/leadership-book-reviews/
And finally, are you looking for a good movie to rent? Read the reviews of “The Sapphires” and “The Place Behind the Pines” under Movie and DVD Reviews.