The subject of our calling is one of great interest to me. I enjoy reading about calling and helping others to pursue their calling. I’ve read a few books about calling, the best of which have been by Jeff Goins (The Art of Work: A Proven Path to Discovering What You Were Meant to Do), Bob Smart (Calling to Christ: Where’s My Place) and Os Guinness (The Call: Finding and Fulfilling God’s Purpose For Your Life). In his book Leadershift: 11 Essential Changes Every Leader Must Embrace, John Maxwell includes a chapter on calling titled “Career to Calling: The Passion Shift”. This was my favorite chapter in an excellent book. I want to share 10 great quotes on Maxwell’s chapter on calling:
- A job is not your calling, no matter how much money it will allow you to make or how it allows you to serve people. A job is merely a vehicle with the potential to take you toward your calling.
- Your calling, when you find and embrace it, will result in the merging of your skills, talents, character traits, and experiences.
- Finding your calling is like finding your why—the reason you exist, your purpose for living.
- Your life will never be the same once you know what you’re called to do and are working to fulfill it every day.
- Your calling can give you a fruitful and fulfilling life, one that fills you with passion and motivates you to make a difference.
- No one has ever been called to do something he or she wasn’t suited for. Calling always matches who you are.
- A true calling is never about the person being called. It’s about helping others.
- Nothing in life is as rewarding as fulfilling your calling—nothing. Wealth, fame, achievement, recognition: all of them fall short.
- The goal in life is not to live on forever but to create something that does.
- Our calling is the gift we give the world while we are still alive. Our legacy is our gift to the world after we die.
Have you read any books on calling that you would recommend? Please share them. Thanks.