Center for Faith and Work Dream
Ever since reading Tim Keller’s outstanding book Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God’s Work (see review here: Every Good Endeavor by Timothy Keller), and reading about Redeemer Presbyterian’s Center for Faith and Work, I’ve had a passion to do something like that locally. I write about that in my “Philosophy of Ministry document here: Philosphy of Ministry – FINAL copy. I would like to merge what I’ve learned in my vocational leadership and my seminary education.
Now that I have completed my seminary work I have more time to focus on this. This summer I will be reading recommended books and thinking about what this may look like in Bloomington/Normal.
For example, I’ll be reading some of these books to learn more about how to integrate my faith into my vocational life:
Every Good Endeavor
Playing Heaven: Rediscovering Our Purpose as Participants in the Mission of God
He Shines in All That’s Fair
When The Kings Come Marching In
Initial thoughts I have are to organize book clubs reading some of these books. I can also envision Adult Sunday School classes on faith and work. I could see a panel discussion, with people from different vocations talking about what it looks like to be a Christian in different fields (IT, medical profession, farming, insurance and financial services, etc.).
To find out more about Redeemer’s Center for Faith and Work, go to http://www.faithandwork.com/
If you have a similar passion, please let me know.
~ THIS AND THAT ~
- Until the end of June, Reformation Trust is giving away the e-book edition of R.C. Sproul’s book Five Things Every Christian Needs to Grow. To find out more, go to http://www.ligonier.org/blog/five-things-every-christian-needs-grow-free-ebook/
- The June free audiobook from Christianaudio is This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti. This was a very popular book when published in 1986. This abridged audiobook takes you on the journey into the mysterious spiritual warfare encountered by a praying pastor and a local reporter. To download your copy go to: http://www.christianaudio.com/free/?utm_source=HomePage&utm_medium=InternalBanner&utm_campaign=FreeAudiobook
IN THE NEWS…
- Given all that took place last week between Tullian Tchividjian and The Gospel Coalition, I though you would be interested in seeing Tullian’s reflections on what went on: http://www.pastortullian.com/2014/05/30/reflections-on-my-break-up-with-the-gospel-coalition/
- Over the past few years, Kevin DeYoung has become a favorite author and blogger of mine. On April 27, 2014, DeYoung’s church, University Reformed Church (URC) voted 282-9 in favor of leaving the Reformed Church in America (RCA) and affiliating with the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). Read his article about the reasons for the move here: http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/2014/05/27/university-reformed-church-votes-to-leave-the-rca/
- Read this story about Dave Ramsey confronting former employees behind social media criticism and parodies – http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2014/may/dave-ramsey-reportedly-silences-critics-on-twitter-facebook.html?utm_source=ctdirect-html&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_term=9449742&utm_content=274843846&utm_campaign=2013
- Jeopardy champion Julia Collins from Wilmette, won 20 matches in a row, for a total of $410,000, the second best ever total. Read about her incredible streak and how she did it here: http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2014/05/29/jeopardy-julia-collins-hot-streak/
JOHN PIPER AND DESIRING GOD…
- In light of this week’s Time Magazine cover story, John Piper asks “Is gender set by a preference of the individual, or a providence of God? Or to put it another way: Is my sex determined by my decision in my mind, or by God’s design in my nature?” Read his article entitled “Genitalia Are Not Destiny — But Are They Design?” here: http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/genitalia-are-not-destiny-but-are-they-design
- John Piper is known for writing and preaching about Christian Hedonism. What is that exactly? In this article entitled “The Ethos of Christian Hedonism: Sorrowful, Yet Always Rejoicing”, he states that it is: a way of life rooted in the conviction that God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him. Read the entire article here: http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/the-ethos-of-christian-hedonism-sorrowful-yet-always-rejoicing
- John Piper talks about the promise in Matthew 6:33 of “all these things” will be provided for you in this article entitled “God Will Give You Everything You Need” and three minute video – http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/god-will-give-you-everything-you-need
- Jon Bloom writes that “Jesus wants you to waste your life like Mary wasted her perfume. For it is no true waste. It is true worship.” Read his short article entitled “When Wasting Your Life is Worship” here: http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/when-wasting-your-life-is-worship
ARTICLES AND VIDEOS…
- R.C. Sproul proves that God does not exist – watch this excerpt.
- During the summer Kevin DeYoung will be posting weekly micro-interviews. He’s asked some of his friends in ministry questions about “bio, books, and such.” His first interview is with Thabiti Anyabwile, Senior Pastor of First Baptist Church (Grand Cayman) and soon to be a church planter in the Washington, D.C. area. Check out Thabiti’s responses here: http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/2014/05/30/bio-books-and-such-thabiti-anyabwile/
- Check out this interview that Christianity Today did with Tim Keller (“Emotion Isn’t the Caboose to Faith”) about one of his recent books Encounters with Jesus: Unexpected Answers to Life’s Biggest Questions – http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2014/april-web-only/jesus-resonates-with-people.html?utm_source=ctdirect-html&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_term=9449742&utm_content=274843846&utm_campaign=2013
- Here is Albert Mohler’s summer reading list for your review: http://www.albertmohler.com/2014/05/27/ten-books-for-eager-reading-the-2014-summer-reading-list-revised/
- Tim Challies continues his series on Christian best-selling books with a look at The Shack. Read his article here: http://www.challies.com/articles/the-bestsellers-the-shack
MOVIES AND MUSIC…
- Disney’s film Frozen recently surpassed their film Iron Man 3 to become the fifth-highest grossing film of all time, with an incredible $1.219 billion in ticket sales worldwide. Read more here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-frozen-becomes-5th-highest-grossing-film,0,2641840.story
- There were a few strong debuts by Christian artists on the iTunes charts this week. Below Paradise by Tedashii debuted at #7 and Neon Steeple, the initial release by Crowder debuted at #8. In addition, Below Paradise debuted at #1 on the Hip-Hop/Rap charts. Congratulations!
- Speaking of Tedashii and Crowder, Crowder guests on the song “Angels and Demons” on Tedashii’s Below Paradise album.
- The Decatur Celebration will be held August 1-3 in downtown Decatur. Dove Award Contemporary Christian singer Jamie Grace will be in concert on Sunday, August 3. To check out more information about the event, go to www.decaturcelebration.com
I got a chuckle out of this sign that appeared in Christianity Today.
~ UPDATED PAGES ON THE BLOG ~
- The Noticer by Andy Andrews
- A Golfer’s Life by Arnold Palmer with James Dodson
- Mentored by the King: Arnold Palmer’s Success Lessons for Golf, Business, and Life by Brad Brewer
Movie Review ~ Maleficent, rated PG
Album Review ~ Neon Steeple by Crowder
Quotable: God in saving us saves us from Himself. -RC Sproul