As I have for several years, I’m sharing some of my favorites in a variety of categories for the first half of 2021. As with 2020, this list will look a little different from previous years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as we have not been to any concerts or conferences, and we have seen very few films thus far this year.
Except for books, these are all items that were released in 2021. For books, I include my favorite books that I’ve read this year, regardless of when the book was originally published.
Enjoy, and please let me know what you think of my list, as well as what would be on your list.
Top Pick: The Courier
Top Pick: Milk & Honey – Crowder
Other albums that I enjoyed, in no particular order, were:
- My Savior – Carrie Underwood
- Leftover Feelings – John Hiatt and the Jerry Douglas Band
- Departures – Jon Foreman
- Clouds (The Mixtape) – NF
- Sing! Global – Keith and Kristyn Getty and Friends
- Freedom (EP) – Justin Bieber
- Skin and Wind – Charlie Peacock
- Latest Record Project, Vol. 1 – Van Morrison
- Live From the Woods Vol. 2 – NEEDTOBREATHE
- Evensong (Deluxe/An Evening at Hidden Trace Farm) – Keith and Kristyn Getty
- January Flower – Mat Kearney
Top Pick: Lovingkindness – Keith and Kristyn Getty, Matt Boswell, Matt Papa and Matt Redman
Other songs that I enjoyed, in no particular order, were:
- Psalm 150 (Praise the Lord) – Keith and Kristyn Getty
- Help Is On The Way (Maybe Midnight) – TobyMac
- All the Lilacs in Ohio – John Hiatt and the Jerry Douglas Band
- Freedom – Justin Bieber and BEAM
- How Great Thou Art – Carrie Underwood
- He Is – Crowder
- Rebels – Slow Hand (Eric Clapton) and Van (Van Morrison)
- Be Still My Soul/He Will Hold Me Fast – Keith and Kristyn Getty
- Zoom In Zoom Out – Ringo Starr
- Thank God for the Blues – Van Morrison
Top Pick: R.C. Sproul: A Life – Stephen Nichols
Other books I enjoyed, in no particular order, were:
- Hope in Times of Fear – Tim Keller
- Crush Your Career – Dee Ann Turner
- The Gospel According to Jesus – John MacArthur
- The Characters of Easter – Daniel Darling
- Journey to the Cross – Paul Tripp
- Called to Create – Jordan Raynor
- Knowing God and Ourselves – David Calhoun
- Brave by Faith – Alistair Begg
- Searching for Grace – Scotty Smith and Russ Masterson
- Faithful Leaders – Rico Tice
Top Choice: Tim Challies’ Ala Carte
This is required reading for me each Monday through Saturday morning. Challies includes helpful Kindle deals, links to a wide variety of helpful articles and quote using SquareQuotes (that he encourages you to share). Check out Tim’s site and subscribe here.
Top Pick: Albert Mohler’s The Briefing
This is required listening for me each weekday morning. Mohler hosts a fast-moving podcast featuring worldview analysis about leading news headlines and cultural conversations. The podcast runs about 25 minutes and is usually posted by 5:00 am. Check out Dr. Mohler’s website and subscribe here.
Top Pick: Ligonier Ministries
Other apps that I enjoyed, in no particular order, were:
- Albert Mohler
- Desiring God
- Ref Net
Top Pick: Tucker Carlson Tonight
Other shows I enjoyed, in no particular order, were:
- All Creatures Great and Small
As a result of COVID-19, we did not get to the Ligonier National Conference or the Gospel Coalition National Conference as planned. We were able to watch the main sessions from the Ligonier National Conference via live stream. You can watch those sessions here.
We are looking forward to attending the Getty Worship Conference Sing! Global 21 in Nashville September 13-15. You can register to attend the in-person event or the live stream here.
Again, as a result of COVID-19, we have not seen any concerts thus far in 2021. We are looking forward to the long delayed (rescheduled four times for various reasons) Toby Mac concert in Peoria on November 13. Here is a link to the event.
These are some of my 2021 favorites at mid-year in a variety of categories. How about you? What were some of your favorites?